m2m Named 2021 Classy Award Winner
mothers2mothers (m2m) is excited to announce that we have been named a 2021 Classy Award Winner in the Social Innovation category! Of the 1,400 nonprofits and social enterprises that participated this year, m2m was one of the 12 finalists, recognised for our powerful peer mentor model that is contributing to the elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and bringing health and hope to women, families, and communities across sub-Saharan Africa.
Hosted by the giving platform Classy, the Classy Awards honour today’s most innovative nonprofit organisations and social enterprises. Now in its 8th year, the awards are one of the largest social impact awards in the country, celebrating the world-changing work of the social sector.
Winners in the Social Innovation category were determined by the Leadership Council, a prestigious group of social sector leaders with representatives from organisations such as Feeding America, Jane Goodall Institute USA, Microsoft, Salesforce.org, The Trevor Project, City of Hope, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
“The Classy Awards began in 2009 to shine a spotlight on outstanding programmes run by social impact organisations around the world,” says Pat Walsh, Classy Co-Founder. “Each and every day we are humbled by the hard work and tenacity of our nonprofit customers, and the Classy Awards serve as our way to honour the sector we serve. Congratulations to mothers2mothers who joins a prestigious group of 2021 Classy Award Winners who are embracing new ideas and solving today’s toughest challenges.”
“mothers2mothers is so honoured to have our work recognised with a 2021 Classy Award. The award is particularly significant this year, as m2m is celebrating our 20th Anniversary. Over the last 20 years, m2m has shown that when empowered African women work as frontline health workers, they unlock life-changing results for their communities and themselves,” says Robin Smalley, Co-Founder and Chief Connector of mothers2mothers.
m2m’s peer mentor model has delivered remarkable reach and impact over the years. Among the highlights are:
- m2m has provided health services, education, and support to over 13.5 million people across 12 African nations, and created more than 11,500 jobs over the last 20 years.
- m2m has helped keep an estimated 1,174,892 women and 965,225 children (ages 0-5)—who may otherwise have been at increased risk of maternal or child mortality—alive since 2001.
- m2m has achieved virtual elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV among its enrolled clients for seven consecutive years, contributing to the global goal of ending HIV.
- m2m has helped an estimated 4,382,382 adults stay HIV-negative over the past seven years alone. Primary prevention of HIV is a cornerstone of an HIV-free future.
- m2m has provided over 1.1 million adolescents (ages 10-24) with services in the last three years alone, reaching adolescent girls and young women who often struggle to access health services and are among the most vulnerable to HIV infection.
To learn more and see all of the 2021 Classy Award winners, please click here.